Is it time to allow Chromium in Fedora?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Aug 11 20:29:32 UTC 2015

Am 11.08.2015 um 22:18 schrieb Mustafa Muhammad:
>  > If I knew Mozilla's Linux binaries provided its own update mechanism
>  > and notification, yes I would do exactly that.
>
> I am pretty sure they get updated just like Windows and OS X binaries,
> but the tar ball should be extracted in a user writable location

nonsense

*if* you use binary tarballs they *should not* be extracted in a user
writeable location as *no binary* whenever possible should have
permissions allowing a ordinary user to change them

they should be extracted to /usr/local/ with root-only write-permissions
and you have to just start the application as root for updates - not
only on Linux, on *any* operating system

and since most users are not able to cope with this security principals
package managers exists

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Security-HOWTO/file-security.html

World-writable files, particularly system files, can be a security hole
if a cracker gains access to your system and modifies them.
Additionally, world-writable directories are dangerous, since they allow
a cracker to add or delete files as he wishes

as long as you did not inherit that principles you have no clue about
security and will be the first victim of exploits on non-windows systems