Is it time to allow Chromium in Fedora?

Mustafa Muhammad mustafa1024m at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 21:00:21 UTC 2015

On Aug 11, 2015 11:29 PM, "Reindl Harald" <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 11.08.2015 um 22:18 schrieb Mustafa Muhammad:
>>
>>  > If I knew Mozilla's Linux binaries provided its own update mechanism
>>  > and notification, yes I would do exactly that.
>>
>> I am pretty sure they get updated just like Windows and OS X binaries,
>> but the tar ball should be extracted in a user writable location
>

> nonsense
>
> *if* you use binary tarballs they *should not* be extracted in a user
writeable location as *no binary* whenever possible should have permissions
allowing a ordinary user to change them

> they should be extracted to /usr/local/ with root-only write-permissions
and you have to just start the application as root for updates - not only
on Linux, on *any* operating system

> and since most users are not able to cope with this security principals
package managers exists

> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Security-HOWTO/file-security.html
>
> World-writable files, particularly system files, can be a security hole
if a cracker gains access to your system and modifies them. Additionally,
world-writable directories are dangerous, since they allow a cracker to add
or delete files as he wishes

My home is not world writable.
The way you pointed is the better way, of course, but I think even my
simple way is better than waiting for package updates from the repos when
an exploit is in the wild.