Is it time to allow Chromium in Fedora?

Thomas Daede bztdlinux at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 00:42:39 UTC 2015

>> *if* you use binary tarballs they *should not* be extracted in a user
>> writeable location as *no binary* whenever possible should have
>> permissions allowing a ordinary user to change them
>
> This is simply not the way how end users install original Mozilla
> Firefox binaries.

In addition, if you have write access to ~/, you can also change .bashrc
to add paths to executable files and do all sorts of other nasty things.

FWIW I run Mozilla's Firefox nightly builds and they work perfectly fine
on Fedora. I've also found the lag behind the official releases
annoying, also for some other large end-user packages (blender), for no
perceived benefit. But it's not especially painful.