Is it time to allow Chromium in Fedora?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 12 01:44:32 UTC 2015

Chris Murphy composed on 2015-08-11 13:38 (UTC-0600):

> Josh Stone wrote:

>> If you don't see the value of distro integration and testing, then by
>> all means, go use mozilla's binaries.

As a KDE user of Mozilla products since long before its very first v1.0
product (Mozilla Suite) release, I've long since seen any point getting into
discussion of the topic of DE integration. It's no more than a pipe dream for
KDE users.

> If I knew Mozilla's Linux binaries provided its own update mechanism
> and notification, yes I would do exactly that.

Why would you think it doesn't just because it's Linux and Linux has package
managers to shield mere mortals from having to deal with such things when you
must know it works for Windows and Mac users?

A mechanism for multiple versions of individual Mozilla products to be
simultaneously installed (AFAIK) remains absent from distros' package
managers. I'm sure most of us testing its pre-releases (and those developing
them) or otherwise needing access to non-current versions while using
releases for normal affairs long ago learned Mozilla binaries do what they
need to do without any need for any supposed DE "integration". That includes
updating themselves.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/