Same comand names in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 14 21:58:06 UTC 2015

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 07:24:16PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Given that sbin is in $PATH for unprivileged users too the seperation
> is really pointless, since it's now only the $PATH order which makes
> this not explode.

Yeah; I have a halfhearted wish to rationalize what goes in sbin and
what goes in bin. One approach would be to make sbin be commands that
wouldn't normally be even in privileged users' $PATH — daemons and so
on that should be launched by init. (Having crond in my path is just
polluting the namespace.) But all of that is a lot of churn for
something that's... not usually a problem.

> Having the same binary doing different things in two places is just
> confusing, opaque to the admin and also not compatible with other
> distros (such as Arch for example, where sbin is just a compat symlink
> to bin, or distros where the $PATH order differs). In fact, I am
> pretty sure on Fedora we should get rid of sbin too, and turn it into
> a proper symlink to bin. That way we could get rid of all the symlinks
> from /sbin binaries to their /bin binaries for compat reasons and just
> make everything compatible with everything.

Also a lot of churn. :)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>