Same comand names in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Aug 16 18:59:01 UTC 2015

Am 16.08.2015 um 20:52 schrieb Eric Griffith:
>  > *No one else* suggested discarding /sbin. Doing so
>  > will break decades of stable open source and free software.
>
> Didn't Arch move /usr/sbin to just be a symlink to /usr/bin?

maybe

but even if not, it don't matter and would not break *anything* because
after that *both* paths would be valid, independent from which unix-like
OS you start a script with a hardcoded path

and it would avoid the topic to ever happen again

now that we survived UsrMove (even if there are still broken packages
like glibc providing only /sbin/ldconfig and breaking deps when packages
using /usr/sbin/ldconfig - and the same for perl) that change would only
make things really clear