Same comand names in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Aug 16 23:24:16 UTC 2015

Am 17.08.2015 um 00:24 schrieb Nico Kadel-Garcia:
> On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 2:31 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>>
>> Am 16.08.2015 um 18:57 schrieb Nico Kadel-Garcia:
>>>
>>> It's a basic violation of the ordinary segregation between "/bin" as
>>> ordinary user tools" and "/sbin" as sysadmin tools to start mixing
>>> them, and much more confusing to have the same program name in both.
>>> And it's frankly easy to avoid. "mock", for example, should rename
>>> "/.sbin/mock" to something else to avoid command line confusion
>>
>> nonsense
>>
>> ./sbin/ is nowehre in the FHS
>> ./sbin/ is not below/usr
>> ./sbin is not protected ReadOnlyDirectories=/usr
>>
>> /usr/lib/appname and /usr/libexec exists
>
> /sbin isn't a separate filesystem, it is a subdirectory of "/", and
> it's explicitly mentioned at
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-3.14.html as requiring copies or
> symlinks to certain specific, long-stable program names. Let me quote
> that document:
>
>> 3.14.1 Purpose
>>
>> Utilities used for system administration (and other root-only commands) are stored in /sbin, /usr/sbin, and /usr/local/sbin. /sbin contains binaries essential for booting, restoring, recovering, and/or repairing the system in addition to the binaries in /bin.[footnote 15]

* these days are gone
* they where gone long before usrMove because in reality the
   purpose of /sbin did *not* work for many years
* UsrMove happened
* ReadOnlyDirectories=/usr is one of the UsrMove benefits
* your ./sbin is mentioned nowhere in the FHS
* FHS is outdated
* the rescue system these days is in the dracutrd
* you would damage all benefits of UsrMove for no gain
* hidden directories are bad

while i often have hard critics for systemd upstream it's never just for
the purpose of trolling and personal attacking - think about that