Sponsors - who does (not) work on FE-NEEDSPONSOR tickets

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 14:33:11 UTC 2015

On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 15:50:26 +0200, Marcin Haba wrote:

> Yes, exactly! I am waiting from March 2015.

Waiting for what?

There may be a misunderstanding of the How To Get Sponsored Wiki page.

> I am active in a few Fedora
> areas (informal reviews, bugs requests, preparing new features requests,
> small patch preparation to fedora-review tool, mailing list sent from
> time to time....).

That sounds like quite some activity which you should mention when
contacting a potential sponsor. In your package review requests you
have met some potential sponsors already.

Please don't expect *every* sponsor to observe *everyone* everywhere
within the Fedora Project or even beyond that.

Sponsors usually take a look at the queue, and if there is no name they
have seen before, or if there is only a single package submitted by
somebody, that's not much input. However, a single package review
ticket is a great place where to point at reviews you've done, or to
give sponsors a hint about any other activity (such as packages in Copr
or a private repo). Sponsors cannot know that.

> My feeling as new person in Fedora devel community is that something
> does not work here. From my point of view it looks that at least these
> new persons' activities are not noticed or are ignored.

As above. Waiting is the biggest pitfall of the needsponsor review queue.
The worst is not responding to reviewer's comments and waiting inactively
for months (without even maintaining the submitted packages).
The Wiki also suggests doing some things _in advance_ (such as a few
reviews, and weeks to months give plenty of time to attempt at doing a
few reviews), so if a potential sponsor takes a look at the single
package somebody may have added to the queue, there is more input in the
ticket than just a single (and possibly flawed/broken) package.