Rawhide plans

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 17:35:05 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 1:29 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at splat.cc> wrote:

> Rex Dieter (rdieter at math.unl.edu) said:
> > Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> >
> > > * Matt opened a thread on the marketing list about renaming rawhide. It
> > > sounds like most people would prefer us to make the changes first,
> > > then and only then look at renaming.
> >
> > s/renaming/rebranding/
> >
> > I personally would prefer the name be preserved if at all possible, but
> if
> > the marketing gurus feel otherwise, so be it.
>
> Certainly agree with making the changes first - if a name has a bad
> reputation because of how things have worked in the past, if you don't
> fix those things, that reputation will just move right onto the new name...
>
> Bill
> --

​One thing I would like to see is that Fedora's development code could
reach a state where something like openSUSE's Tumbleweed would be possible.
If we could take daily/weekly/biweekly snapshots of the repositories for
people to use as a rolling release like the way the openSUSE folks ​are
doing, I think that would go a long way to enabling a higher scale of
testing of code that makes it into Fedora releases. I don't want use to let
go of normal releases, but I feel that the people who want to have that
"rolling" model should be able to from Fedora and expect a reasonable level
of things working.

If we're able to do something like this, the "rawhide" name could certainly
stay for the development code, but a new name for these snapshots would be
appropriate.