Sponsors - who does (not) work on FE-NEEDSPONSOR tickets

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 20:05:47 UTC 2015

> Recently we had discussion here about the queue of package reviews with
> FE-NEEDSPONSOR flag.
> I suggested to write some script which would query db and reveal those
> sponsors who does not make his duty.
>
> Here comes this script:
>    https://github.com/xsuchy/guard-fedora-sponsors
>
> It is first version and I'm sure there will be some false negatives. The
> current logic is:
> 1. query FAS to get all usernames from packager group who are sponsors
> 2. for each such user get all bugs from past 365 day for Package Review
> component which are assigned to this sponsor
> 3. give the sponsor some credit when he changed bug status (to whatever
> state) as this indicate some work on this bug
> 4. give the sponsor some credit if he remove FE-NEEDSPONSOR from blocking
> bugs as this indicate finishing sponsor work
>
> This does not reflect if you sponsor somebody directly.

Hi Miroslav,

this is not the only problem with your script. I think the underlying
definition of "sponsoring work" is flawed.

A sponsor not only sponsors new contributors into the packager group
but acts as guide ever after. Even though I have not accepted any new
candidates throughout the last year, I still look after all of my 24
protégés. I not only answer questions when they occur, I also look at
every commit, build and update. This of course, takes some time and
thus limits the number of packagers a sponsor can take care of.

While I see the need for sponsoring new contributors in a timely
manner, I always found the focus on sponsoring as many as possible
questionable. And I'm afraid your script can encourage this behavior,
no matter if the output says "no sponsor work" or "recent sponsor
activity". I think the least you should do is change the wording to
"has not accepted any new candidates" or alike, but you will never be
able to know who did actual "sponsor work".

Best regards,
Christoph