Sponsors - who does (not) work on FE-NEEDSPONSOR tickets

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Aug 20 06:57:50 UTC 2015

On 08/18/2015 12:04 PM, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> BTW this report reveals that we have just 39 active sponsors (during past year).
>
> If you are sponsors, please consider sponsoring somebody from the queue:
>    http://fedoraproject.org/PackageReviewStatus/NEEDSPONSOR.html

You should understand that sponsoring someone in reality is a tedious
and challenging task. Why?

1. You need to find a package submission your feel sufficiently
motivated to review.

The packages, I am interested already in are in Fedora, which means I am
having difficulties to find any more

2. You need to find a package you technically feel qualified to get
involved to.

Most recent submissions were out of my technical domains.

3. You need to find a "non occupied" package.
Provided we have "sponsors"; whom I perceive as "keen on collecting
badges", this has become an ugly rat-race.

4. Reviews take time, esp. on those with "NEEDSPONSORS".
In recent times, I perceived a lot of low quality submissions, I am not
interested in wasting my time on, any more.

5. You cannot push around sponsors.
The ability to sponsor packagers is a privilege and not a duty. It's not
going to fly to make a volunteer privilege a burdon.

That said, I considering your ongoing campaign to be harmful to Fedora.

All you are going to achieve is to collect more "hyperactive kids" and
to drive away more of the "old and experienced hares".

Ralf