Rawhide plans

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Aug 20 12:58:26 UTC 2015

Le Mer 19 août 2015 18:22, Rex Dieter a écrit :
> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>
>> * Matt opened a thread on the marketing list about renaming rawhide. It
>> sounds like most people would prefer us to make the changes first,
>> then and only then look at renaming.
>
> s/renaming/rebranding/
>
> I personally would prefer the name be preserved if at all possible, but if
> the marketing gurus feel otherwise, so be it.

Same here.

I doubt anyone will be fooled by a name change, what matters is the actual
state of the repository not naming tricks. All renaming will win us is
lots of internet pages stating newname = rawhide and repeating baby eating
anecdotes. So actually counter productive, the new name will start with
all the historical badwill (because that's the easy reporting part) and
none of the recent improvements.

Good reputation must be earned, magical tricks do not work (even lavishly
funded renaming marketing campaigns have little effect, the best one can
do is to acquire a brand with lots of goodwill and try to subsume another
in it).

OTOH bikesheding is always fun. Just don't expect miracles.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot