Fedora Notifications - howto?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Aug 20 16:10:29 UTC 2015

On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 13:15:41 +0200
Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 05:05:10 +0200, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
>
> > > I just discovered requests in pkgdb, which I haven't been notified
> > > about. I'm also not sure that I still receive dist git commit
> > > notifications as usual.
> > >
> > > Where would I learn about any infrastructure changes related to
> > > this?
> >
> > FMN has been announced on devel-announce and devel as well as the
> > planet. We have rolled out a few release including one re-working
> > the default settings.
>
> I'm still in search of a howto. A howto about the user-interface, the
> various filters and rules, and real documentation about how to use it.

I don't think there is such a howto, but we could look at creating one.

> Is there anybody, who is familiar with
>
>   https://apps.fedoraproject.org/notifications
>
> already and can help?

I can try. ;)

> If I log in, which is very slow and takes some time, I see two
> "filters" with lots of rules. I'd like to understand these defaults.

Right, you should see "irc" and "email" on the first screen.

These are the rules for each type of notification (if you want
notifications via irc message or email or both).

If you click on one of them it goes to the modify page for that type of
notification.

For each fedmsg that is emitted from anything in fedora infrastructure,
it looks at your series of rules. If any of them match, you will get an
email about that fedmsg.

You can also set things to specifically not match something you don't
want to get. For example, on my IRC filters I added a rule that is:
everying involving this user and entered my username and then added NOT
all irc meeting events. This prevents it from notifying me on tons of
irc meeting events if I chime up in a meeting.

If you want the completely default setup, there's a 'Party Perished'
button that will reset them all to default.

You can further have it digest them, or add more markup or add shortend
urls, etc.

Happy to try and help with more specific questions.

kevin