Unable to submit update for F22 (was Re: bodhi 2 now live)

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 21:43:35 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 10:40:40AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-08-20 at 12:33 -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> > On 08/20/2015 12:02 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > >
> > > To me any non fedora/redhat supplied account system is
> > > inacceptable,
> > >
> > > This applies to github, sourceforge, farcebook, nitter, goggle, or
> > > else - period.
> >
> > The last time a non-Fedora hosted / closed source service was
> > suggested it was shot
> > down.
> >
> > https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2013-October/191012.h
> > tml
> >
> > Have times changed? Using github is acceptable?
>
> (following on from previous mail) that specific link, though, is
> talking about something completely different. That would be using the
> non-free software *as part of infra*, not just hosting some open source
> code we run in infra on a service that is not free.

This is correct.  The infra team discussed this some time ago and
since Github does nothing to lock up the resources we care about, and
exposes our code to a much wider (*1000 at least) group of developers,
among other reasons, judged it OK.  Having a PR-based workflow has
helped the team be a lot more agile at no cost to the freedom of our
code.

Be that as it may, there is now pagure, and I imagine many if not all
of these repos will be moving there.  Incidentally, pagure has some
functionality to allow bidirectional code movement with Github, which
gets the best of both worlds.

If someone doesn't like making a Github account, in the interim
they're still free to fork as would be usual for any repo (including
hundreds of projects we carry in Fedora repositories), and send a
patch to the list.