ncurses update to 6.0

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Fri Aug 21 11:18:15 UTC 2015

On 04/08/15 11:33, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:

> The ncurses upstream has released a first 6.0 version few months ago.
> The default ABI version has changed to 6, which enables some
> extensions to allow more colors, mouse wheel, etc. The ABI version 5
> is still supported and can be selected with a configure option.
>
> We should switch to the new ABI, but we will probably want to provide
> the old ABI 5 libs even when all Fedora ncurses applications are
> rebuilt with the new ABI to not break 3rd party packages. Dependency
> on libncurses.so.5 or libtinfo.so.5 is pretty common.
>
> As for updating the ncurses package, my current plan is to build the
> libs in both ABIs (so there are four builds total with the wide and
> narrow versions), use the ncurses-libs subpackage for the new ABI 6
> libs and create a new subpackage for ABI 5 libs. What would be a good
> name of the subpackage? ncurses-libs5, ncurses5-libs, compat-ncurses5,
> or something else?

According to http://www.gnu.org/software/ncurses/ the new ABI should
include symbol versioning, which would hopefully avoid the need for a
repeat of this pain in the future, but as far as I can see none of the
symbols in the current F23 build are versioned?

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/