bodhi 2 now live

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at daitauha.fr
Mon Aug 24 01:46:02 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-08-23 at 22:23 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Mathieu Bridon wrote:
> > In the case of Kevin's update, the problem is that markdown lists
> > must
> > have an empty new line before them, like so:
> >
> > A paragraph of text:
> >
> > * first item
> > * second item
> >
> > Kevin, you used the following, which indeed the Markdown parser
> > turns
> > into a single paragraph:
> >
> > A paragraph of text:
> > * first item
> > * second item
>
> Thank you for the analysis (and now I know how to work around this
> regression), but:
>
> > Bodhi 1 was already doing the same thing with such an input.
>
> No, sorry, but that is not true. I wrote those update notes in the
> Bodhi 1 web interface, so of course I looked at the resulting
> formatting.
> Bodhi 1 interpreted that syntax as a list, not as a single paragraph.

So it seems I wrote that code so long ago that I misremembered.

You are right, I has indeed added some special handling in Bodhi 1 to
have lists work even without an empty line before them:

https://github.com/fedora-infra/bodhi/blob/bodhi1-develop/bodhi/templat
es/show.kid#L47-L48

> This is a change in Bodhi 2 (and IMHO, for the worse, though if
> there's some official Markdown spec that says it should be that way,
> meh…).

Markdown is extremely under-specified, so a lot is left up to
implementations.

In the case of lists, I can find no mention at all of surrounding text
in the "spec", it only talks about lists in complete isolation to other
elements, as far as I can see:

http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#list

Which means that very often, Markdown implementations just do "whatever
the original implementation does", bugs and all.

And sure enough, if you try using the online demo:

http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/dingus

You'll find it behaves the same way Bodhi 2 does.

CommonMark is trying to improve this situation with a complete
specification, but it isn't what we use in Bodhi 2 (yet?)

If you really feel strongly about that empty newline, open a bug report
asking for it. I guess we could just reuse the one-liner I had for
Bodhi 1, or completely move to CommonMark, as it seems to allow what
you want:

http://spec.commonmark.org/0.21/#example-246

In any case, please open bug reports for anything you want in Bodhi 2,
to make sure your feedback isn't lost in the archives of the mailing
-list.

--
Mathieu