Valgrind availability

Marcin Juszkiewicz mjuszkiewicz at redhat.com
Mon Aug 24 12:55:26 UTC 2015

Hi

During last few days I fetched over 26 thousand of Fedora package
repositories. Plan to go though all spec files and submit some patches
mainly related to my aarch64 work.

But there is one thing I want to note:

%ifarch %{ix86} x86_64
BuildRequires: valgrind
%endif

Currently there is only one architecture in Fedora which does not have
Valgrind support and it is s390 (32-bit s/390). x86(-64) has it, arm32
and aarch64 have them, ppc64(le) has it too.

So if your package build depends on Valgrind (or valgrind-devel) please
consider change to:

%ifnarch s390
BuildRequires: valgrind
%endif

I know that some maintainers do not like to look at their packages on
architectures other than x86(-64) because they do not own hardware, do
not like being hit by bugs in valgrind or have other excuses. If you are
one of them then please add a note to spec file about. Check "cscppc"
package for example.

Sure, some packages may fail due to bug in valgrind implementation on
some secondary architecture. But then we can notify developers so it
will get improved (while in same time package may get this build
dependency disabled for a while).