Sponsors - who does (not) work on FE-NEEDSPONSOR tickets

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 13:17:22 UTC 2015

On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 10:43:15 +0200, Miroslav Suchý wrote:

> Dne 21.8.2015 v 00:58 Orion Poplawski napsal(a):
> > My gut reaction to this is, my god, we don't need *more* packages in Fedora,
> > we need more people maintaining the pile we already have.  So I'd like to see
> > more packagers added as co-maintainers of packages.
>
> Hmm,
> so does it means that "becoming a co-maintainer" should be preferred way now to become sponsored?

Why does it need to be the "preferred way"? It's one out of multiple ways
that's been working fine for Red Hat employees too, isn't it?

Do we know anything at all about any new contributors, who have tried
to become a co-maintainer of a package and have been rejected?

Are there any problems, such as current "owners" fearing they lose
control over a package? Or maintainers, who think a team would be more
of a hindrance than a benefit?

I guess there are enough packages in the collection, which are used by
more people than the single packager. And there are some packagers, who
own more packages they can handle.

The next time you submit an update request (or a patch) in bugzilla,
it's the perfect opportunity to look into becoming a co-maintainer.
Or you may want to take care of F21 only? That is possible in pkgdb.