minrate configuration often causes dnf process abort instead of going to faster mirror

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 27 06:12:20 UTC 2015

Has anyone noticed $SUBJECT happening? It happens to me a lot here in FL USA,
maybe upwards of 1/3 of the time.

Anyone think of a reason not to file an enhancement request bug as follows?

I keep in /etc/dnf/dnf.conf the following:
minrate=6000

This is to avoid having any slow mirror provide larger packages (e.g. icons,
libreoffice, java, kernel) that delay the entire update/upgrade process
waiting on the final one or two packages to finish at 1/10 or leess than the
average download rate. I often find that this speed is not met early in/start
of makecache and update/upgrade processes, which halts the entire process
instead of looking for a faster mirror and proceeding as happens after the
fetch process has made some progress. In virtually every case, repeating the
command after it aborted finds a faster mirror, and the whole process
proceeds to completion. Surely DNF could spend a bit of time to look for a
faster mirror instead of aborting. The abort means the submitted process
often has to do a lot of (time wasting) repeating, instead of picking up
where it left off, continuing with a faster/different mirror.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/