F23 System Wide Change: Glibc locale subpackaging

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at daitauha.fr
Thu Aug 27 15:33:20 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-08-27 at 16:10 +0200, Florian Festi wrote:
> On 06/22/2015 12:16 PM, Jan Kurik wrote:
> > = Proposed System Wide Change: Glibc locale subpackaging  =
>
> We have to revisit this topic as soon as rich dependencies are in
> place. Rich dependencies offer a way to handle locales on a system
> wide level. One possible implementation would be having
>
> langsupport-XX meta packages that enable support for a given
> language.
>
> Locales could be in packages like glibc-lang-de, foo-lang-de, ...
> The main package could then have
> Requires: (foo-lang-de if langsupport-de)
> if we want to enforce the locale package to be installed.
>
> Otherwise it might be more elegant to have the language package (e.g.
> glibc-lang-de) have:
>
> Supplements: (glibc and langsupport-de)
>
> As we can assume that glibc is always installed this could already be
> done with:
>
> Supplements: langsupport-de
>
> The benefit of this approach is that installing a new langsupport-XX
> package will bring in the locale packages for all packages making use
> of this mechanism.

Could that even be done automatically by rpmbuild?

Just like rpmbuild automatically generates a -debuginfo with the right
files in it, could it generated the -lang-xx packages with the .mo
files inside, and add the Supplements dependency you suggest?

Because doing it manually for all the languages supported by an
application (which might vary from release to release) would be pretty
awful. :-/

--
Mathieu