Undefined %epoch problem (Re: rawhide report: 20150730 changes)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Aug 28 11:59:12 UTC 2015

> The version tags "ver" and "rel" attributes may also be non-numerical.
> Why not "epoch", too?

I haven't looked into the sources, but IIRC, inside of rpm, while rel,
ver etc. are strings, epoch is an integer.

AFAIR, there are APIs which return the epoch as a *int, which may be
NULL or a valid pointer. I.e. callers will have to special case
accessing these pointers.

Seems to me as if something doesn't get this right.
(FWIW: All this was an FAQ > 10 years ago :) )

Ralf