FYI: Building glibc rpm using --with bootstrap.

Carlos O'Donell carlos at redhat.com
Fri Aug 28 21:05:43 UTC 2015

I just finished extending the `--with bootstrap` support for
rawhide glibc (rawhide glibc is FTBS right now, but that's another
reason). The goal is to provide RCM and others in Fedora with the
ability to experiment with bootstraps using the standard set of
rpm tooling.

When bootstrap is active we now:

- No documentation. (--without docs)
	- No more dependencies on texinfo in this case.

- Skip Valgrind smoke tests. (--without valgrind)
	- Rely on normal regression tests only.

- Drop SELinux support
	- No dependency on SELinux.
	- Remember this is a bootstrap, so we allow some
	  flexibility to be less secure. In this case it
	  only impacts nscd.

- Drop NSS Crypt support
	- Bootstrapping will never get us FIPS compliance
	  so we drop NSS Crypt support and fall back to the
	  normal crypt routines.

- Disable the use of -Werror (--without werror)
	- This prevents build failure due to newer compiler
	  or other dependent headers.

and lastly...

- Disable building microbenchmarks. (--without benchtests)
	- The microbenchmark binary subpackage that can be
	  used to do comparitive runs is disabled.

I encourage others to continue to support `--with bootstrap`,
particularly in the low-level tools. At present our stage1
Fedora boostrap scripts use custom recipies, but if we continue
to extend `--with bootstrap` it may be possible to support
this entirely within the normal set of rpm tooling.

Comments welcome.

Cheers,
Carlos.