Firefox addon signing

Ben Boeckel mathstuf at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 01:18:21 UTC 2015

On Fri, 28 Aug, 2015 at 09:34:14 GMT, Alexander Ploumistos wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 12:24 PM, Martin Stransky <stransky at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for the info. Actually is there any reason why Fedora packager would
>> need to modify the original extension?
>

> That depends on the extension and its particulars. For example,
> adblock plus has an extortion-like scheme in place and it allows
> certain ads from certain companies that have paid them good money for
> their service. This patch blocks those ads as well:
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/mozilla-adblockplus.git/tree/disable-safeads.patch
> I didn't care to check if such a modification is permitted by their TOS.

There's Adblock Edge[1] which is a fork without such "features". But it
seems they have discontinuted in favor of uBlock Origin[2] (which also
handles the Request Policy plugin; also pretty much discontinued
upstream). Having used all four, uBlock Origin is certainly the best out
of all of them.

--Ben

[1]https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-edge/
[2]https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/