noarch vs. all, x86_64 vs. amd64, kernel vs. linux and PAE

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 00:02:39 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 7:53 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 7:41 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Oh no.  Something our distro has never really considered is not
>>> possible without replacing two of the fundamental components of the
>>> operating system the distro is based on.  What a shame that thing that
>>> was never really going to happen anyway is now made slightly harder.
>>>
>>> josh
>>
>> It's been considered repeatedly and tried in the small scale, by mach
>> and HURD and other micro-kernel enthusiasts. They are now SOL.
>
> No they aren't.  They simply have more work to do.  If they believe
> they are now SOL, then I begin to doubt how seriously they considered
> the whole thing.

They'll have to replace a _lot_ more, now that Gnome, NetworkManager,
and logging for most system daemons is dependent on systemd. And
systemd is absolutely reliant on a Linux kernel.

> You and I clearly are not going to agree on practicality, utility, and
> feasibility of an undertaking such as replacing the Linux kernel so I
> believe this should be our last exchange.  I wish you well.

I wish you well, as well. I wish your optimism weren't misplaced, I
really do. It could have been fascinating work with a micro-kernel
instead of the Linux kernel, but with much of the rest of the Fedora
architecture intact.