Looking for new maintainer: ownCloud (Fedora / EPEL)

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Sun Aug 30 23:17:56 UTC 2015

On 2015-08-29, 21:27 GMT, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Hi, folks. So I've been maintaining ownCloud for the last little
> while. Unfortunately I sat down today to try again and update the
> package to the latest upstream (8.1.1), and somewhere in the second
> hour of insanely stupid PHP autoloader code, I just snapped. I can't
> take this crap any more.

Hi, Adam,

thank you very much for your effort! Whatever future holds, you
have made it possible to run ownCloud on RHEL with more or less
working setup. THANK YOU!

> I'm very sorry to folks who are using it, but I really can't deal with
> the crap any more. If all you need is calendar/contact sync, there are
> easier ways. Check out Radicale or something like it.

Of course, if Radicale works for you, gnu be with you and go for
it! That’s all what really matters. However, let me add a word
of warning for others, because it doesn’t have to work for
everybody:

* Radicale (https://github.com/Kozea/Radicale) is a tiny project
with a five and half substantial (more than 10 commits)
committers (the half is for "System User"), huge majority of
them (534, next in the order 26) by one commiter. There is
nothing wrong with a project like that, but it has some
consequences.

* Radicale does not and will not support full Ca*DAV specs and
it seems to be "works for me" level of support and there doesn't
seem to be much effort to fix issues which the maintainer is not
interested in.  So for example, Thunderbird/SOGO DOES NOT work
(creates a duplicate items in the addressbook and calendar) and
the issue seems to be open since 2013
(https://github.com/Kozea/Radicale/issues/42).

Again, if it works for Adam (or anybody else) it is awesome, but
I would strongly discourage anybody who is not willing to invest
substntial amount of a sweat equity from packaging the package
for Fedora/EPEL.

Best,

Matěj

http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mcepl at ceplovi.cz