Sane ownCloud alternatives (was: Re: Looking for new maintainer: ownCloud (Fedora / EPEL))

Martin Kolman mkolman at redhat.com
Mon Aug 31 13:54:59 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-08-31 at 12:13 +0200, Matěj Cepl wrote:
> On 2015-08-31, 07:05 GMT, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> > > Again, if it works for Adam (or anybody else) it is awesome, but
> > > I would strongly discourage anybody who is not willing to invest
> > > substntial amount of a sweat equity from packaging the package
> > > for Fedora/EPEL.
> >
> > Not entirely sure if you meant packaging radicale, but if that is
> > the case,
> > radicale is already packaged in Fedora and epel 6 and 7.
>
> OK, perhaps I was more afraid that many people will read Adam’s
> email as “ownCloud is crap, Radicale rulez, let’s jump on that
> wagon everybody!”. Radicale is a minefield, and if your path
> happens to avoid the disaster than you may feel it works well.
> However, one step from the safe path and you are doomed (e.g.,
> using Thunderbird).
That kinda reminds me - is there some sane ownClooud alternative or at
least a project aiming to become one ?

While a have seen various projects dubbed "ownCloud alternative" they
usually just aim for a small part of what ownCloud does - for example
Seafile seems to target file sync, sharing and file based collaboration
and the Radicale project mentioned above does just address book
syncing.

So is there no sane "full ownCloud alternative" that integrates:
* file sync
* calendars
* contacts
* task lists
* collaborative document editing
* plugin/extension API (preferably with support for Python plugins ;-)
)
into one UI/account/framework ?