adding new driver to kernel src and building rpm

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 16:46:40 UTC 2015

On 01.02.2015 16:57, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 00:43:26 +0100, poma wrote:
>
>> $ smi2021url=https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jonjonarnearne/smi2021/61b87c5/drivers/media/usb/smi2021
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~
>>
>> $ wget \
>> $smi2021url/smi2021.h \
>> $smi2021url/smi2021_audio.c \
>> $smi2021url/smi2021_bootloader.c \
>> $smi2021url/smi2021_main.c \
>> $smi2021url/smi2021_v4l2.c
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> Makefile:
>> obj-m += smi2021.o
>>
>> smi2021-y := smi2021_main.o \
>> smi2021_bootloader.o \
>> smi2021_v4l2.o \
>> smi2021_audio.o \
>>
>> KDIR  := /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build
>> PWD   := $(shell pwd)
>>
>> default:
>> 	$(MAKE) -C $(KDIR) M=$(PWD) modules
>>
>> ~~~~~~
>>
>> $ make
>>

>> poma
>>

>> Ref.
>> - linux-media
>>   http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-infrastructure
>> - Linux Kernel with the smi2021 v4l2 driver
>>   https://github.com/jonjonarnearne/smi2021
>> - easycap-somagic-linux
>>   https://code.google.com/p/easycap-somagic-linux
>
> Very nice, thank you very much! It compiled without a hitch.
> How do I load it now? Doesn't the current kernel need to know about it?

Amadeus, it's just part of how to build a module.
Most modern kernel modules are already prepared for automatic loading by PCI IDs, USB IDs, DMI IDs or similar triggers encoded in the kernel modules themselves.

However is this kernel module sufficient, should you patch an extra kernel module, the necessary firmware, etc.
See the contents of the given links.

The best reference is the author of the kernel module, try to contact him. ;)

Good luck