on software updates

Casey Jao casey.jao at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 13:10:14 UTC 2015

To clarify, I know that one can bypass the restart prompt by using dnf on
the command line. But my concerns pertained to the average user, who is
likely not familiar with the command line. And the average user when asked
to restart for *everything* (such as a browser update) might grow
increasingly inclined to keep postponing updates. That's what users were
conditioned to do on Windows, and it got so bad Microsoft started resorting
to extreme measures like forced reboots.

What's the expected time frame for the transition to sandboxed apps and
well-defined platforms? That seems like a major undertaking that will take
some time to mature. I'm just wondering whether anything can be or might be
done to improve the user experience in the interim.