on software updates

Miloslav Trmač mitr at redhat.com
Mon Feb 2 15:50:37 UTC 2015

> On 31 January 2015 at 21:57, Casey Jao <casey.jao at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Are there any plans to let packages specify that they do not require a
> > total
> > system reboot to be updated?
>
> Yes, see https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/SandboxedApps -- basically,
> you can't do updates of rpm-sourced system-wide app deployments
> without a reboot in a safe way.

There are classes of RPMs that definitely can be done without a reboot in a safe way (documentation-only; packages with a single executable and no libraries / separate data files; and quite a few other cases), and letting packagers opt them in to being updated without a reboot seems like a clear improvement on the status quo.

I don’t know, perhaps they are currently rare enough that it is not worth it; but it seems to me that we will need vaguely that kind of infrastructure in any case (if only to allow updates of the sandboxed apps).
     Mirek