Dependency chain issue...

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Feb 3 04:49:08 UTC 2015

Nathanael d. Noblet wrote:
>   I have F21 Workstation installed. I installed liveusb-creator and the
> following was the dependency chain installed.
>
> http://www.fpaste.org/180713/34735142/
>
>   The real odd parts are all the multi-media being installed. This seems
> to stem from phonon being included in the chain. I don't really know why
> it is. Is this a bug?

Problem #1 is that PyQt4 is not split into subpackages for the different Qt
modules being bound, so you end up with the Phonon and QtWebKit bindings
installed, which drag in the rest. So far we have chickened out of splitting
PyQt4, we'll need to look into this issue in the KDE SIG.

Problem #2 is that you are getting phonon-backend-vlc instead of phonon-
backend-gstreamer, which ends up dragging in a lot of dependencies. Try
using --exclude=phonon-backend-vlc to force yum to pick -gstreamer instead.
This is a result of phonon-backend-vlc being in RPM Fusion (and you having
that enabled). It gets preferred by yum for some reason (shorter name? fewer
direct dependencies? something else? I don't know which of the many criteria
is being used here). I have always said that having phonon-backend-vlc in
the repositories is a bad idea (because you end up with a different default
backend depending on the repositories you have selected, leading to a
support nightmare), but I wasn't listened to. (In fact, this even affects
builds of KDE packages in RPM Fusion, where phonon-backend-vlc also gets
dragged in, and thus the KDE packages cannot be rebuilt against a new FFmpeg
before VLC is. That sucks.)

        Kevin Kofler