on software updates

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Tue Feb 3 18:23:59 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-02-03 at 05:28 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Richard Hughes wrote:
> > Yes, see https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/SandboxedApps --
> > basically, you can't do updates of rpm-sourced system-wide app
> > deployments without a reboot in a safe way.
>
> That's absolute nonsense. Updating had always worked that way before
> you
> changed to offline updates. It just works.

You're not engaging with Richard's argument at all, which he's stated
in quite a lot of detail in multiple places. His point is that it
works until it doesn't - in *most* cases you happen to get away with
doing something which is fundamentally unreliable, right up until it
actually bites you in the ass. And he's stated several times that he
and the other maintainers of packaging-related apps have had to deal
with multiple bugs caused by online updates.

If you can actually counter those points, we have an interesting
debate, but if all you're going to do is restate the position he's
already said is too simplistic, we're not going anywhere.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey