octave-symbolic license change from GPLv2+ to GPLv3+

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Feb 9 22:28:40 UTC 2015

Colin Macdonald wrote:
> I'm the new upstream developer of this.  Its a rewrite from scratch.  If
> it helps, I'm happy to (help) maintain the Fedora package---unless of
> course we have some policy against that.

Welcome to Fedora! Your help is of course welcome. There is no policy
against upstream maintainers also maintaining the Fedora packages. Actually,
it is even encouraged. After all, nobody knows the software better than the
upstream developer(s).

By the way, the license change should have no practical impact whatsoever,
because octave-symbolic depends on octave, which is already GPLv3+, and
"links" to its runtime library, according to the definition of "linking" of
upstream Octave. So it was already impossible to legally exercise the GPLv2
option to begin with.

        Kevin Kofler