Advice on naming a new library package - libunicode or courier-unicode?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 22:42:19 UTC 2015

On Mon, 9 Feb 2015 10:17:12 -0800, Brian C. Lane wrote:

> I'm trying to get the new version of maildrop ready and they split out
> unicode support into a new library. The name of their archive is
> courier-unicode, but the actual name of the library installed is
> libunicode. That's what I picked after looking at a few other libs. I
> don't see any specific naming guidelines on this and I can see it going
> either way.

At Fedora there are no special naming guidelines for library packages.
For example, we don't apply a "lib" prefix to the package name just
because it's a library package.

There are only the general naming guidelines:

  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Naming
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#General_Naming

courier-unicode would be a first choice, since it's the upstream
archive name. They call the project "Courier Unicode Library"
not "libunicode": http://www.courier-mta.org/download.html#unicode
That would meet the requirements of the naming guidelines.

A libunicode package has been in other distributions before:

  http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=unicode&submit=Search+...

Another (old?) one with Pango as home.

Naming the package "libunicode" could be safer with regard to avoiding a
clash with another future project with the same name. But if following the
guidelines, I would name it courier-unicode.