initscripts

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 07:16:00 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 7:13 AM, Björn Persson <Bjorn at rombobjörn.se> wrote:
> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 12:19 AM, Björn Persson <Bjorn at rombobjörn.se> wrote:
>>
>> > What's the recommended way for a user to find out which of the three
>> > GUIs it is that pops up when one clicks on a menu entry, when the
>> > window title is something generic like "network configuration" and
>> > there is no about dialog? Run "ps -ef" and look for recently started
>> > processes?
>>
>> Stop Using Gnome is usually the fastest solution. The bloated
>> "assistance" it provides many features I consider detrimental to a
>> stable environment.
>
> Of course I don't use Gnome 3, but what does that have to do with the
> question about distinguishing between different Network Manager GUIs?

Pulling most of Gnome out is a big start to clearing the clutter, in
both packages installed and in GUI confusion. After clearing most of
that, it should be much, much easier to find among the remaining
packages.

With that out of the way, a review of the actual available packages shows:

            nm-connection-editor
            network-manager-applet

I can't help but congratulate whoever decided to change naming
conventions from 'NetworkManager' to 'network-manager' and 'nm' for
naming those packages.