git - possible rebase on F21

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 10:03:05 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 9:58 AM, Petr Stodulka <pstodulk at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I have this request [0] for rebase of git from version 2.1.0 to 2.2.2 for
> Fedora 21. Can I do this? Do you know someone about any incompatibilities?
> For me there are not so big changes but I have not problem with this. We
> have now version 2.3.0 on rawhide. In the case that yo prefer rebase to
> 2.2.2 or even to 2.3.0?

What are the pros of moving from 2.1.x to a newer release? What are
the possible issues? Is there a soname bump? API/ABI changes? The bug
just asks for it to rebase and doesn't state why it would be useful.
In general you should outline things like does it have features that
are useful, does it have functionality that is needed to interact with
new features of some public tool or infrastructure (say signed pushes
for kernel upstream, some new functionality in github etc).

Peter