another input/output question (libinput / pulseaudio / ....)

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Tue Feb 10 23:36:02 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> On Mon, 2015-02-09 at 08:44 +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
>
> > However, especially for libinput, it gets hazy and also mostly pointless.
> > aside from some special processing required for touchpads and tablets, we
> > don't care much _what_ a device is, we just pass on the events.  If a
> > device
> > has keys, it'll be a keyboard. if it sents KEY_MUTE we pass that on, the
> > compositor/X stack will then handle that however need be. There's no real
> > benefit to us trying to figure out what is a headset and what isn't, we'd
> > still just pass on the keys.
>
> Fair enough. One thing that is important, though, is to preserve enough
> information about the originating device (and the general device
> topology) that higher levels have a chance to do the right thing (e.g.
> mute the headset and not the speakers, if that is where the mute button
> is).

We already do that, when we can match the audio device with the input device,
in gnome-settings-daemon:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-settings-daemon/tree/plugins/media-keys/gsd-media-keys-manager.c#n1184

It did work to make the volume buttons on a USB speaker control the USB speaker and nothing else.

I have no idea how to change the LEDs though, but if they're exposed in sysfs, you'd probably
change them in gnome-settings-daemon as well.

I'd say "patches welcome" but in this case it will be "patches required".