[Proposal] Ring-based Packaging Policies

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Fri Feb 13 08:48:07 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 12-02-15 19:32, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> (Logistical note: please keep all replies to this thread on
> devel at lists.fedoraproject.org)
>
> tl;dr Shall we consider requiring a lesser package review for packages
> that are not present on Product or Spin install media?
>
> == Premise ==
>
> So, some time ago, we started talking about dividing up the Fedora
> package set into a series of "rings". One of the driving purposes behind
> this idea was to re-evaluate our policies for packaging in each of these
> rings. A fair amount of time has passed and no formal discussions have
> taken place (that I have seen, at any rate), so I'm going to provide
> here a simple "starter" proposal that we can work from and see where it
> leads.
>
> To begin, I'll try to identify some of the major advantages and
> disadvantages in our current policies. (In no particular order...)
>
> === Advantages ===
> * Consistency: every shared library, language-specific module and
> application should have packaging consistent with others in its
> category. This makes it easier for comaintainers and provenpackagers to
> pick it up and work on it.
>
> * The no-bundled-libraries policy means that when a library module
> requires an update, it means that only one package needs to be modified
> in order to enhance all applications on the system that consumes it.
> This is a significant time-saver when it comes to dealing with
> (increasingly common) security vulnerabilities.
>
> * Package review "front-loads" the task of educating the packagers. It
> guarantees that packages enter the collection by meeting a very high
> standard. This does a great deal to accomplish the "consistency"
> mentioned above.
>
> * Legal review and the FPCA ensures that Fedora remains true to its
> "Freedom" Foundation (as well as protecting Fedora contributors from the
> perils of the international legal system).
>
> === Disadvantages ===
> * Very strict policies often leads to potential packagers giving up.
>
> * Package reviews for less-interesting packages (such as those for less
> popular SIGs) often remain un-reviewed for weeks, months or even years.
>
> * The package policies are only ever reviewed during the initial
> creation of the package. Once that initial (high) hurdle is cleared, the
> packager essentially has free reign to do whatever they want with their
> package. This sometimes means that as time passes, the spec files
> "bit-rot" or otherwise start accumulating other inconsistencies. (A
> common example is the package whose upstream starts bundling a library
> without the packager noticing).
>
> * Many upstream projects do not concern themselves with being "in" any
> particular distribution (with the notable example being the
> Debian/Ubuntu flavors which have amassed a sufficient apparent userbase
> that they sometimes get special treatment). For a variety of reasons,
> this often leads directly to bundling the vast majority of their
> [...]

+1 I think this is a good idea, esp. the bundling libraries thing has
been a big hurdle to get some packages into Fedora. I think we may want
to encourage some unbundling though, in many cases some libs (e.g. zlib)
can be trivially unbundeld, where others are modified / a different
major version then what we may have in core, and there bundling is
something we will have to live with.

But these are just details, I like the general concept. We may want to
do something where core packages are in a different koji tag then
ring packages to ensure a strict self-contained ness also wrt Buildrequires
of the core, we could still generate one repo for the outside world, so as
to not put any extra strain on mirrors, but the repo's generated to do builds
from would be separate for core / ring builds. This will require some work
from rel-eng, and manually tagging all core packages as being core (once),
then once the tagging is done we will notice when any new deps are necessary
for core packages because their build will fail, and we can have a
(lightweight!) procedure for moving ring packages into the core, and vice
versa of course.

Regards,

Hans