Proposal to (formally/easily) allowing multiple versions of the same library installable

Hedayat Vatankhah hedayat.fwd at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 16:36:30 UTC 2015

/*Jan Zelený <jzeleny at redhat.com>*/ wrote on Fri, 13 Feb 2015 16:15:08
+0100:
> On 13. 2. 2015 at 08:03:18, Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Hedayat Vatankhah wrote:
>>> Proposal: let's make it possible to have multiple versions of the same
>>> library installed, as far as their .so version permits that
>> It's already possible (you gave several examples, like Qt)
>>
>> Am I missing something?  Or rather, what leads you to believe that it is not
>> currently possible?
> Yes, it is possible. You just need to pick different names for packages that
> contain these libraries. That's something that is not going to change, as we
> would need to redesign huge chunks of the entire rpm stack.

I've answered it already; quoting my own email:

> Q: Can't a packager do it already? Why propose it as a 'proposal'?
> A: Yes, he can, but it'll be hard; mainly because he'll need to put
> new versions of the library for review. Also, I suggest it as a
> 'recommended practice' for packaging libraries.

It is possible, but it'll need package reviews for each new version.
Also, it should be probably added to packaging guidelines for library
packaging as the default/recommended method (including the possible
issues that might need attention, as stated in the other reply).

Regards,
Hedayat