[Proposal] Ring-based Packaging Policies

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Feb 14 05:15:03 UTC 2015

On 02/13/2015 08:14 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 02/12/2015 07:32 PM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>> Second, I will call attention to the fact that different Fedora
>> users have very different needs from the software. For example,
>> those running Fedora Server and Fedora Cloud are likely far more
>> concerned with Fedora as a *deployment* platform than they are as a
>> *development* platform. Folks running Fedora Workstation or the KDE
>> spin are likely to be somewhat more interested in the development
>> side of things (though not exclusively).
>
> Fedora Workstation includes very, very few development-related
> packages, to the degree that it is completely unusable (by itself) for
> almost all developers.

I share this experience. I used "Fedora Workstation" on my machines, but
found myself heavily customizing it, because it did not suite my needs
("Development" + "Classic (xfce) Desktop") + "file/print server").

 > Many important development tools are completely outside the
 > Fedora.Next package set.
ACK. They seem to be addressing the "GnomeOS-Massmarket Consumer
Desktop" and "Data Center" use-cases. Both aren't mine.

 >  Previously, they were just a “yum install”
 > away, and there was little difference in practice.
In comparison to former releases, with F21, I had to remove many more
packages and then to install many more other packages :-)

Ralf