Proposal to (formally/easily) allowing multiple versions of the same library installable

Christopher Meng cickumqt at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 08:38:37 UTC 2015

Who will review the new packages of these multiple versions? If we don't
review it I think it's horrible to carry obsolete stuffs.

Maintaining several version of the same library is not easy as you think,
basically once a developer wants to install version X while then another
people want to deploy things based on version Y, how to crack this nut? You
can't just care about runtime.

And, not all upstream use symbol versioning, and I don't think enforcing
this could bring in any improvement for some upstream as they even don't
care about this.

I only see Gentoo and it's derivatives give users choice to install
different versions they want, but Gentoo has different concept while Fedora
releases precompiled binaries, you can't control this actually.

--

Yours sincerely,
Christopher Meng

http://cicku.me