Which of the changes introduced in F21 might affect bash history?

John Florian john.florian at dart.biz
Mon Feb 16 15:04:16 UTC 2015

Thanks for that Kevin!  When I last attempted defeating bash's history trimming I had tried to beat it at its own game by migrating a healthy chunk of ~/.bash_history into my own auxiliary file during login so that whatever I did in that session would be (hopefully) less than what had been archived therefore making it unnecessary for bash to do anything.  It sort of worked and why it sort of failed was due to a bug I just couldn't see or due to a bad choice in that chunk size I never learned -- it just never bothered me quite enough to sort it all out.

I really like this prompt_command() idea; that's very clever.  Thank you (and AdamW) for sharing that!

--
John Florian