Need help with gcc c++ issue

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Mon Feb 16 18:43:26 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 11:35:17AM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> FESCo decided to not do a mass rebuild for f22, but gcc-5 (with a
> change to config from f23) was approved to land in f22.
>
> > - A GCC-5 has been pushed to rawhide and already _is_ being used to
> > build packages and causing all kind of weird issue there. These
> > issues also cause harm to F22, because we have a "build rawhide
> > first" rule.
>
> Yes, but as far as I know the gcc maintainers are still patching up
> issues found via these bugs. It would be good to actually fix those in
> gcc before we go rebuilding everything with it.
>
> So, it's somewhat up to gcc maintainer(s) IMHO... when they feel gcc-5
> is ready to rebuild everything.

There are bugs being fixed both on the gcc side and on the side of packages,
I think it is too early for the final mass rebuild, but gcc should be ready
for that in a short time.  For the gcc side of bugfixing it doesn't help
that there is a huge delay due to extremely underpowered armv7hl builders
- what builds in 4 hours or less on all other primary and secondary
architectures builds for 18 or more hours on armv7hl.

Also, a releng mass rebuild, which I believe is a random package order,
would very likely not help very much, due to the ABI changes one needs to
rebuild the packages in topological order, non-C++ packages or C++ packages
that nothing C++ depends on of course can be left for the mass rebuild, but
ideally the rest should be rebuilt manually before the mass rebuild.

	Jakub