Removal of Fedora Planet post links from start.fedoraproject.org

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Feb 17 16:54:29 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 11:07:37AM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > Hope its the right place to discuss this. Recently, during the redesign
> > of the start.fedoraproject.org page, the links to updated/new posts from
> > planet.fedoraproject.org were removed. Any specific reason for this?
> Often, those posts were not Fedora related, and generally out of our
> control. I'm glad you found them usually interesting — that's valuable
> feedback.

After some coffee, I should add some more explanation. Fedora has many
times more users than developers, and the start page should primarily
appeal to that wider audience. Most of the content on the planet — even
that which is properly Fedora-related — is pretty highly tilted towards
the geekier contributor side. There's nothing wrong with that, but it
can be overwhelming. So, the goal with the Magazine is to be more
user-focused (although there's still a lot of contributor-focused stuff
mixed in as well; we're still working on the balance).

If you're deeply involved and want the firehose,
http://planet.fedoraproject.org is there. If *you'd* like to contribute
user-focused content (even reposting from your blog, or whatever), see
<https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/52782/how-do-i-contribute-to-fedora-magazine/?answer=52786#post-id-52786>

There's also value in having users aware of the wider community and
drawing them in, so, again... we're working out the balance, and
everyone's help figuring that out is welcome.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>