[Proposal] Ring-based Packaging Policies

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Tue Feb 17 16:54:24 UTC 2015

Le mardi 17 février 2015 à 17:39 +0100, Ralf Corsepius a écrit :
> On 02/17/2015 05:18 PM, Petr Pisar wrote:
>
> > Why not to create a new repository with reduced policy as
> > Stephen proposed with the one-way dependency rule (between current
> > Fedora and the new easy-for-beginners repository)?
>
> Because this would establish a 2-class society, with double
> standards standards and so on.
>
> Also RH and other distros history repeatedly has told the lesson
> such will not fly and are doomed to fail.

It seems to have been working just fine in RPMFusion, where the free
and nonfree repositories have different standards for inclusion, and
where packages in nonfree can depend on packages in free, but not the
other way.

At another scale, it seems to not be working too badly already for
Fedora+RPMFusion, where Fedora and RPMFusion have different standards
for inclusion, and where packages in RPMFusion can depend on packages
in Fedora, but not the other way.

If I understand correctly, Ubuntu has a similar setup with main and
universe, and so does Debian with main, contrib and nonfree.

History doesn't seem to unambiguously prove what you think it does,
but then I guess you can always argue that those examples just haven't
failed yet. ;)

--
Mathieu