[Proposal] Ring-based Packaging Policies

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Feb 17 17:13:23 UTC 2015

On 02/17/2015 05:59 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 05:39:48PM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>> Why not to create a new repository with reduced policy as
>>> Stephen proposed with the one-way dependency rule (between current
>>> Fedora and the new easy-for-beginners repository)?
>> Because this would establish a 2-class society, with double
>> standards standards and so on.
>
> If the distinction were drawn based on _who_ rather than _what and
> why_, it would. (And that was fundamentally the problem with the old
> Core vs. Extras.) But no one is proposing a _society_-based distinction
> — instead, a _technical_ one.

I know and understand this, but I expect the outcome to be the same:

Ring 0 == Red Hat
Ring 1 == The Red Hat business/RHEL-irrelevant parts

In other words, on the techicall level I do not see any difference to
CentOS+RHEL and to Core+Extras

On the political and social level, .... it raises questions going far
beyond these consideration

Ralf