Removal of Fedora Planet post links from start.fedoraproject.org

Sumit Bhardwaj sumitkbhardwaj at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 17:32:39 UTC 2015

Well, I understand your point Matthew. Yes, often the post are on the
geekier side and may not be related to Fedora project as such, but most
of them are about Linux in general and day to day problems/solutions in
a Linux user's life. I am not aware of the intentions behind the Planet
Fedora aggregator's invention but if I am not wrong, all the blog posts
that appear on it are from Fedora contributors only, from some project
or other. Many times these posts are very informative and solve highly
technical problems or provide way around some tricky situations based on
real life experiences. So Planet Fedora is important for me personally,
both as a user and as a developer. Going to it directly by entering the
URL is ok but is a additional step.

What you are saying about the start page is correct and yes, it should
cater to the wider audience as much as possible. What I think can be
done at least is since the new UI has tabs on top, another tab can be
added that points to the planet fedora aggregator. It still won't be
that useful but at least it won't be completely gone from the page. I
think its an important part of it and I am sure there will be few other
also, if not many, who developed a habit of checking it from start page
over time like me.

I will do some more thinking on it and if I come up with some subtle
design changes that can incorporate planet Fedora links without actually
changing the new design language and audience view of the page, I will
surely share it. In that case, with whom can I share these?

--
Regards,
Sumit Bhardwaj