So everything in Rawhide must be compiled with -fPIC?

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Thu Feb 19 09:56:51 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 09:51:33AM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> There is definitely new/different behaviour in Rawhide, and recently.
>
> Also I was only able to see the new behaviour by updating from gcc 4.x
> -> gcc 5.  ie. Updating redhat-rpm-config isn't what causes the
> problem.

Well, gcc 4.x (or gcc 5 configured against any linker but very
recent one) on x86_64 sometimes used to tollerate incorrect linking of
-fpie/-fPIE compiled objects into shared libraries (it would still assume
in optimizations that local definitions can't be interposed, but if you
weren't trying to do that, perhaps it would happen to work).  gcc 5 on
x86_64 configured against recent linker assumes PIEs can use copy
relocations and therefore you can get various linker errors if you try to
link -fpie/-fPIE compiled objects into shared libraries.  Don't do that.

	Jakub