So everything in Rawhide must be compiled with -fPIC?

Dave Johansen davejohansen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 19:38:03 UTC 2015

https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2014/12/26/new-optimizations-for-x86-in-upcoming-gcc-50-32bit-pic-mode
https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-06/msg01956.html

>From those articles, it sounds like it's a worst case 5-10% hit. I agree
that's kind of annoying and a lot of my stuff doesn't even run connected to
the internet, but if that 5-10% worst case hit that will usually be
imperceptible can prevent my machine from being bitten by some malware that
got on the network because someone plugged in a USB drive they shouldn't
have, then I'm all for it.