systemd-219 issues with 22 and Rawhide composes

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 16:52:20 UTC 2015

>> > Oh god, stop this, will you?
>>
>> No, I mean the above in general for general changes you make that
>> affect the distro as a whole. You generally land them without
>> notification.
>
> I "generally" do that? Can you be more precise?
>
>> > The folks in question knew I would drop the patch. In the original bug
>> > I even said I would remove the work-around from systemd.rpm after TC1
>> > of the last cycle. I was nice, left it in for the whole cycle, only
>> > dropped it now.
>>
>> Yes, and it looks like it affects dhcpd too... just because you
>> notified one dev team on a single bug it's not the same as a wider
>> announcement to the wider community. There's all sorts of things that
>> this can affect, and while yes it may be a bug in their software, it
>> should be as widely notified as possible. People have priorities that
>> may not be the same as yours.
>
> Hey! Come on. Everything that systemd does is create a symlink for
> /etc/resolv.conf if nothing else has created on for that. If something
> else created and owned that file, it leaves the thing alone. That's
> all. It's very defensively written. Anaconda's file copy routine
> tripped up on it though, since it follows symlinks on the destination
> (which is a really bad idea, and needs to be fixed).
>
>> > There is no news in all of this, I just removed the work-around now, as
>> > indicated back then.
>>
>> Again, I'm not just referring to this single incident, it would be
>> nice if you notified people widely of changes. It's a community,
>> people don't all follow closely the upstream development of all
>> upstream components.
>
> Ok, then please list all those numerous incidents please.
>
>> > How many months would you like me to notify people in advance of a
>> > simple change like this? Isn't 6 month *ample* time?
>>
>> Likely not, not everyone has the same schedule as upstream systemd, in
>> a lot of cases they don't know it's broken until things land and teams
>> have other priorities.
>
> OK, got it, will let everybody know now of changes 5 years in
> advance. Would that suit your needs?

Not what I'm saying at all. There's no need to throw toys to the
extreme just because someone is asking for a certain level of reason
and engagement.

> Anyway, I have the suspicion you just want to make a fuss, and this is
> where it ends for me hence.

Nope, I don't, I just want engagement, generally and overall I'm
actively positive for systemd and a big advocate for it. You just need
to engage in the community and if something isn't done in six months
because another team has other priorities and other deadlines and
people push back because it's actually breaking other areas of the
distribution there's no need to throw toys from the pram and storm
off. It's a large distro of moving parts and we need flexibility as a
result, things get pushed due to delays. It's not the end of the
world!

Peter