Changes in the f22 workstation

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Sat Feb 21 00:00:30 UTC 2015

On Feb 20, 2015 2:09 PM, "Matthias Clasen" <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:

> I wanted to give a heads-up to the wider audience about a number of
> workstation changes that are landing in the f22 branch (and rawhide)
> this week, in time for the alpha freeze next week:
>
> - The message tray at the bottom is gone, notifications are now shown
> at the top, and can be reviewed in the calendar popup (
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/GnomeShell_NewNotifications)
>
> - The gnome-shell theme has been refreshed
>
> - The login screen is using Wayland (
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Login_Screen_Over_Wayland)
>
> - Codec installation has been integrated in gnome-software (currently
> this is hooked up in totem)
>
> - Nautilus has received a number of improvements (
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Nautilus_Improvements)
>
> Please let us know if you see any fallout from these changes.
>

> Thanks! Matthias
>
> --

I'm nervous about GDM on Wayland; Wayland has never worked well on my
systems.  Can you talk about fallback strategies a bit?  Can GDM detect
when Wayland isn't working well enough to be usable, and cleanly fall
back?   That's probably a big ask, though; presumably this can be set one
way or another by the user?

--Pete